How We Can Help
Our Community Connection Service can answer general questions about autism. We are able to provide information about;
- Autism Wessex services
- Local autism services in Dorset
- Support from other organisation
- Information about autism
What We Can’t Help With
Our Community Connection Service cannot provide support with the following;
- Legal issues
- Health issues
- Offer a counselling service
- We do not offer a call back service
- Refer you to other agencies
- Advise on conditions that are not part of the autism spectrum
- Professionals seeking advice or guidance
How to Contact Us
If you have autism, are a family member of someone with autism or would like general information on autism, local autism services or support from other organisations; Autism Wessex can help connect you. You can contact us using our online appointment booking system.
All our telephone appointments are pre booked. Please complete the online form in as much detail as you can to allow us to fully prepare for your appointment. Each appointment will last a maximum of 20 minutes. Please note that you may be contacted by email if your enquiry can be connected to services in the community without a phone call. Before arranging an appointment please check the information below.
Below are organisations that can provide advice across the UK.
- Advice Now - guides on how to win a PIP or DLA appeal
- AdviceLocal - directory of local advice services and information on welfare benefits, work, money, social care problems and more
- Advice UK - local independent advice centres
- Age UK - advice for older people
- Carers UK - advice for carers about social care issues
- Challenging Behaviour Foundation - social care advice when a person has a severe or profound learning disabilities (they are quite strict about this criteria), 3 telephone appointments of up to 45 minutes each per issue
- Contact a Family - advice on benefits for children with disabilities
- Citizen's Advice - advice on a wide range of issues, including challenging an ESA decision
- Child Law Advice - advice on social care for children Disability Law Service - may be able to arrange free full legal representation if you live iLondon and are eligible for legal help/aid )
- Disability Law Service - free legal advice about social care
- Disability Rights UK - provides a personal budget helpline. Family Rights Group - advice for parents involved with social services and an advocacy service for young parents (under 30
- Gingerbread - advice on benefits for lone parents
- Mencap Direct - advice for people with learning disabilities
- Mind - advice about being sectioned, social care and mental capacity
- NAS - National Autistic Society
- Rethink - advice on mental health, social care and the criminal justice system
- RNIB - benefits and care advice for blind or partially-sighted people
- Shelter - for issues involving housing, housing benefit or housing costs in Universal Credit, supported living and eviction
- Working Families Legal Helpline - advice on benefits for families
- The Autism Services Directory - Lists autism services and support groups across the UK
Your Questions Answered
- What is Autism
- Autism Strategy
- Diagnosis and Assessment
- Care & Support
Our Community Connection Service is a confidential service. As such, we always keep everything we discuss private unless we discover something very serious e.g. if we feel somebody may be at risk. Sometimes, more than one person will listen to your call. This is for training and quality purposes. If this is the case on your call, we'll let you know and ask if you're happy to proceed.
How we use your data
Autism Wessex takes data protection very seriously. We use the personal data you give us for administration, statistical and carefully considered and legitimate business purposes connected with Autism Wessex and autism. You are always in control of how we use your personal data with regards to marketing and fundraising activities. We won't sell or exchange your personal data to other organisations for marketing or other purposes. If you'd like to receive additional information about Autism Wessex, with your permission we will provide your contact details to the relevant Autism Wessex team, but we won't disclose the reason for your call.
You can read our full Privacy Notice.
We're here to help
Sometimes, we'll signpost you to external organisations who can provide you with further information and advice. Please note that we can't guarantee the service of these organisations.
Get in touch
To let us know your thoughts about our Community Connection Service email [email protected]